Friday, May 18, 2007

A great loss of a Canadian pilot


I hold a special fondness for the Canadian Snowbirds. Many years back we had an air show here every August. Several of the participants would practice the week before the show. I think it was a Friday afternoon before the big show when I heard a loud roar near my place. I usually don't pay much attention as I live a stones throw from a local airport (luckily not in the flight path), but this noise was exceptionally loud so I walked outside to the front lawn to see the Snowbirds doing a dive directly at my place. At the very last second they pulled up doing a perfect loop. I later found out that they were noted for "buzzing" places much to the dismay of the FAA. I will always remember that little stunt and the expert flying they displayed.