Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm batting 1000

Went to Lost in the Bozone the other day and was inspired at his cooking adventure. Now I'm the type who can cook most things. I once worked in a restaurant in my post college days for a short time and was taught some fairly complicated dishes. No I wasn't the chef but I am a quick learn when I see something prepared. So I thought I'd give a Polish dish a try. Savory sausage was the attempted dish. Oh how quickly I'd forgotten some of the basics. Against my better judgment I followed the directions to the letter. Big mistake. The reciepe:

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
3 red potatoes, cleaned and diced
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, & packed
1-2 lb smoked sausage or kielbasa, cut in 3 inch pieces
Directions
1Melt butter in skillet.
2Add onion and green pepper.
3Cook until tender.
4Add apple, brown sugar, caraway seeds, potatoes, and sauerkraut.
5Mix well.
6Place sausage on top of sauerkraut mixture.
7Cover.
8Cook over medium-low heat for 40 minutes.

Can you find the mistake in this wonderful dish? No? Well if you note that the sauerkraut is drained and rinsed in addition to adding brown sugar you will get something with almost no liquid that after 40 minutes will burn on the bottom and I mean charred black.

I did manage to save the sausage so I'll try again tomorrow.

So if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 cups of beef broth and fresh dill. Salt and pepper to taste.

Also use smoked keilbasa if available, else boil the polish sausage first to drain some of the fat.

BBC said...

I think I might have baked it in an oven.