Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Welcome to Hell



Geez it was 85 when I went to bed last night. I don't think it dropped below 80 and it's already 82 as I write this. We in the North West are not used to such temps. If it gets much above 75 for any length of time the whiners come out and wonder when the rain will come back and talk about how the lawns are turning brown. The worst part is they say it may get to 101 around here. Two choices either head for the store with AC or climb in the fridge. This is the one time I'm glad I'm not working because nine times out of ten we'd land up doing a roof. That reminds me of one of the most dangerous jobs I've ever done. One O one may seem like heat but some years back we were removing insulation from some live steam lines in a confined space. The temps were so high it would melt your rubber boots it you touched a pipe. We started out by going "in the hole" as we call it at ten and fifteen minute intervals with a two man rotation. We adjusted to the heat and made it to a 30 to 45 minute rotation. When we finished the very first hole the general contractor went in and measured the temp...... 365 degrees! So if you notice I get flakey at times I guess you'll know why now. My brain was fried years ago I just didn't realize it.

Keep your drums cool today folks...

3 comments:

Holte Ender said...

Demeur - I sympathize with you, When my wife and I moved to Georgia, it was July, Oh my god, I can stand a bit of heat, 85F at midnight, 90F at 9am. Summer yard work used to be a pleasant occupation for me, not any more.I am a little more used to it now, I can't imagine working in the temps. you described.

Keep cool man.

jmsjoin said...

I have had some pretty screwed up jobs but that job sounds pretty rough. I have been following the in the NW and down to Texas across to Florida. It has been hot us hell.
Here in Ma It just broke the low 60s after two months of cold rain every day. Right now it is raining again. Our Weather has run amok not just our country and everything else. What a future!

BBC said...

I showed a 101 here yesterday for a while, I actually enjoyed it. Spent a lot of time under the apple tree.