Saturday, July 16, 2011

Truth and a little snark


It took a little over two weeks for the radiation to travel from Japan to the west coast of the U.S. The earthquake and tsunami occurred on March 11, 2011 and the radioactive iodine 131 reached our shores on March 28,2011.

From what I'm hearing the EPA scrubbed their website of the initial report but with some digging I found this post buried in their archives. Much like searching the 'Castle' in that Kafka novel one link lead to another which said absolutely nothing.
epa link

Come to think of it I'd better copy and paste it so that it won't disappear later.

Now I need to go back and check my records to see exactly what I was doing that week. I have one advantage in all this. I'm old and from what I know iodine collects in the thyroid until it can't process any more. Therefore the older you are the less likely this will affect you. At least not your where your thyroid is concerned.

In checking my records I see that I was doing mostly indoor work that week. Lucky me with minor exposures I'll only have to worry about skin cancer.

I see the authorities are now doing air monitoring for radiation. Nothing like checking for the horse after he's left the barn? They say their making a baseline in the event of a future radiation disaster. Ah, you think this effort just might skew the numbers guys? A baseline two times the exposure limit just might make it easy to hit us with another major leak and see the numbers won't be that bad. And after all "radiation is good for you" according to that radiation expert Ann Coulter.

Some more truth and I'll leave you. I'm doing some concrete work around the casa here. I know from training that most concrete with the exception of some specialty concretes has a life span of 50 years. Our is a little over 30 years and not in that great of shape. I know that if I repair it now it may last another 10 years or so before needing replaced. Most of our nuclear plants (at least the ones that haven't been decommissioned) were built in the late 60's and early 70's. That's 40 years ago. Nuclear plants are said to have a life span of 25 to 30 years and now these geniuses in charge want to extend the operating permits another 10 years. Nothing like playing Russian roulette with the lives of American citizens. But then I forgot "radiation is good for you".

So iiree get me a rum and coke we have voodoo economics, voodoo science, and voodoo history. What's next? Voodoo math? Two percent plus two percent equals one percent because three percent must go to the top one percent to create jobs. Yeah right!

6 comments:

S.W. Anderson said...

Actually, 2 percent plus 2 percent equals 1 percent because the government doesn't want to have to pay out various COLA increases that are supposed to kick in when inflation is assessed honestly. At the rate we're going, we'll see 3 percent + 5 percent = 2 percent before anyone has to worry about the out-years effect of Fukushima radiation.

So, my friend, what's your favorite flavor of cat food? Better stock up because Safeway doesn't use government math to calculate the price. ;)

BBC said...

iodine collects in the thyroid until it can't process any more.

That's okay, I'm getting to where it's hard to process some shit going on anyway.

Way back when I was in school I learned that good concrete cured for fifty hears, I've seen concrete buildings and slabs older than that. The first school I went to is still standing.

Of course things can attack it, salts and acids and such.

It just sprinkled for a bit here then moved on your way, this bastard got to work on the windshield frame some, next it gets a couple coats of oil base paint to seal it good..

BBC said...

Cat food is going up? I'd better shoot some coons, they sneak over and eat it, cats like boiled coon.

Demeur said...

If push comes to shove I'll eat the cat instead.

BBC said...

Well, fatten the cat up on coon I guess.

Randal Graves said...

How about just plain old voodoo? Stickpin your enemies with a nuclear vengeance.