Sunday, August 28, 2011

Disaster preparedness


This is going to open up a can of (and I don't mean corn).
Most of the problems faced in a disaster aren't from the event itself but from the aftermath. Dealing with the clean up, insurance people and contractors is probably more stressful than any huricane. And many of the injuries aren't from the event itself but from a temporary lack of common sense. In Haz Mat every year they show us videos of people getting injured or killed. Nearly all of the fatalities are the result of stupid mistakes made by well intended people.
The very first thing I learned is never rush into a situation without first stopping to analyze the problems. With a bit of pride I can say that I've never been seriously injured on the job from any workplace danger or at home either.
The problem arises from the media who must hype an event for ratings. One can assume the worst from them but you should never loose common sense in the process. Looking at Irene as it moved up the coast made me realize that it was going to peter out by the time it hit NY. Even the meteorologists said as much if you were paying attention. But everybody just loves a disaster.

In cruising the grocery aisles the other day I came upon some survival food. Five dollars for a 4 oz. dinner with a shelf life of five years. In thinking about that I stopped to consider that with all the preservatives in it they wouldn't have to embalm when I died. That's a bit pricey for nearly starving to death.

I have at least two neighbors who bought generators (just in case) that have sat collecting dust for the last 20 years. I wonder if they even work at all having sat so long.

So where you might ask am I in all this? I don't take disasters lightly but I never assume the worst until it happens. I've lived through some tough times but never with the fear that problems can't be overcome. I suspect that should we get a massive earthquake here which has a high degree of probability I'll be called upon to assist in any clean up which I'll gladly do. It's just that I won't be overly fearful and retain a years' supply of food with a bunker mentality. You'd be amazed at how resourceful you can be with very little.

As for loosing my possessions in such an event, other that some ID, important papers, and old photos the rest of it can be replaced. Not a bad idea to clear out 30 years of collected stuff most of which is nearly worn out anyway.

8 comments:

Four Dinners said...

One hell of a blow job heading to NY eh?....Good luck to 'em!!!

S.W. Anderson said...

Your attitude and approach are both good, Demeur. But I can also understand the desire of young couples with children to do things like stock a disaster pantry, store some water and so on.

Some reasonable level of preparedness for various kinds of disaster makes sense. But people need to realize complete preparedness and absolute safety aren't realistic options. A cool head and determination to use common sense and be resourceful are more worthwhile than hundreds of thousands spent on an underground disaster bunker.

jmsjoin said...

Man they are still talking up impending disaster in western Mass. I am so sick of their stupid crap. I was prepared just in case but we have worse every year.

Even Obama is still talking it up so we'll see. The media though as you know is behind all this shit. They hype up and control the Political position too. They act likw foolish idiots!

Randal Graves said...

What if you open a can, and mutant worms crawl out, gnawing clean through either your hazmat suit, kevlar vest or chain mail, straight to the marrow, then whaddya do, smart guy?

Anonymous said...

That damn Randal, always a Killjoy!

Demeur said...

That's easy Randal I go fishing for mutant salmon.

BBC said...

The very first thing I learned is never rush into a situation without first stopping to analyze the problems.

Yeah, step back and have a cup of coffee, or get drunk and see how things look tomorrow.

A 20 year old generator will start right up, as long as it hasn't been sitting around for 20 years with gas in it. Don't put gas in a generator until you actually need it.

BBC said...

Oh, any canned food is good for five years anymore, never mind the date on the can. No need to buy expensive shit.